Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Christmas Spirit

The Christmas Spirit

Last week, the week before Christmas break, was one of the best weeks I’ve had at my school. One of the things I like most about my school are the masses (see: la Misa). Each morning of the week started out with different grades presenting novenas. There were prayers and singing Christmas songs. Having worked in public schools, the kids will sometimes sing generic types of holiday songs. Here the students sang and danced to Christmas songs in Spanish that were definitely more Catholic than generic. It was lovely and fun.

My students, for some odd reason, were generally very good all week. Of course they were hyper and excited, but they also got their work done. I am finally seeing and hearing the results of some of the English I’ve taught my students in their papers and speech. Hooray!

All week long there were celebrations. Novenas – praying, singing, dancing. Birthdays – singing and cake. My wonderful teaching partner, Sandra, and I took our 6 “Star Students” out for pizza. Christmas Blaze – activities, and a talent show.* The seniors read and performed The Grinch Who Stole Christmas for the elementary students, which they loved. Then Friday was Sandra’s birthday, so the students had a surprise party for her. We also had a staff potluck, which besides food, also featured singing, guitar playing, and a celebratory atmosphere.

*I have to say, the child who won was amazing. I was walking back from the bathroom towards the stage area and I heard an accordion playing. I thought to myself when I heard it that it was a teacher playing. Upon returning to the stage I gazed in amazement at a very small boy playing this incredibly difficult, not to mention heavy, instrument. He was spectacular! I found out he was in first grade.

By the end of the day on Friday I was tired. While wishing my colleagues Feliz Navidad y Prospero Año Nuevo, I was asked if I’d like to go get a beer after work. Yes! ¡Sí! ¡Por sopuesto!

I have been here since August, and this past Friday, Decemeber 18th, marks the first time that I’ve gone out with a bunch colleagues after work. Kären, Dave, and I all had a fantastic time with our Colombian fellow teachers and we hope it’s not the last.

It's Colombia so of course there was singing and dancing.

Getting a salsa lesson. I could use quite a few lessons.

Spanish teacher and English teachers

Colombian and North American English teachers

Wherever you are, I wish you a Merry Christmas, Happy Solstice, Happy Channukah, or happiness in however you celebrate this time of year. Happy New Year! ¡Feliz Navidad y Prospero Año Nuevo!

No comments:

Post a Comment