Monday, November 2, 2009

Surfing on Halloween

Surfing on Halloween

Last week at work made me seriously consider leaving my job. By Thursday night I got a migraine that lasted about 30 hours. I also had some dodgy stomach issues. I couldn’t work on Friday because of them. Do you think my illness had anything to do with the stress from my job? No none I’m sure. The body mind connection anyone?

Moving on to more pleasant stories, Saturday morning I woke up feeling like myself again. I had to finish writing my trimester exams, but after that I wanted to go to the beach and hopefully surf. Karen decided she’d come along. We took what I call the champeta bus to Prado Mar. I call it the champeta because this is the music that is always playing really loud. Click on the link, turn the volume up to 11, and pretend you are on a hot, crowded bus that looks like this on the outside, and that will give you an idea.

One of the champeta buses

It had been sunny all morning, but by the time we got there the clouds had started to roll in. There were tiny waves and Yoyi had a long board for me. He gave me a mini-lesson and I surfed!

Lessons

I'm up


I can surf! OK, not very well.

Waving to Kären, at the end of the wave

The waves were only itty bitty, but it was still fun. There was almost no one at the beach or in the water so the conditions were perfect for me.

Surfing reminded me once again that, much like the crest of a wave, my time here in Colombia is ephemeral.


1 comment: