Saturday, August 15, 2009

Pre-Colombian Times

Pre-Colombian Times
I have traveled a lot in my life and have had many comments on my countries of choice, but I don’t think reactions could be any more varied than when I said, “I’m going to Barranquilla, Colombia to teach 6th grade Language Arts and Social Studies for a year.”

I got everything from, “Make sure to wear a bullet-proof vest,” to “I have heard so many great things about Colombia, don’t believe the bad press it gets.”

I read up and here is what I found out:

  • It’s South American country with 45 million people about twice the size of Texas.
  • Barranquilla has a population of 1.1 million and is an industrial port city on the Magdalena River a few miles inland from the Caribbean Sea, located between the more beautiful Cartagena and Santa Marta.
  • Botero, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Juanes, and Shakira (she’s from Barranquilla) are all from Colombia.
  • The FARC is considered a violent terrorist group that have been involved with the cocaine drug ring – scary.
  • Coffee is its other large export.
  • Butterflies, orchids, and beaches galore.
  • Barranquilla is known for its Carnaval in February which UNESCO calls "masterpieces of the oral and intangible heritage of humanity."
  • Although there are dangerous places in Colombia, Barranquilla (like much of the country) has seen a decrease in crime over the past 5 years.

There is more that I read and heard, but I mainly from what I gathered, there is danger but using a bit of common sense and street smarts, I should be fine. I heard the people are wonderful. I heard the beaches are beautiful. I figured there wouldn’t be very many tourists in Barranquilla so my Spanish would improve quickly. It was not easy finding a lot of information on Barranquilla, so if you have never heard of it, don’t feel bad.

I was sad to leave Portland, but I wanted to teach in a hot climate, in a Spanish speaking country near (or on) a beach, at a good school. I got what I wanted, nonetheless it was hard to say goodbye to my friends, house, garden, and especially my dog to jump into the great unknown.

I jumped.

Now I’m here and everyday is full of surprises and interesting little vignettes. So far after 10 days, I am happy, safe, and healthy. Please enjoy Livin' la Vida Colombiana.

E

2 comments:

  1. Que chevere!! Me da gusto que la pases increiblemente bien. Se que es triste dejar todo aqui en Portland, pero sabes que, estas teniendo una experiencia unica y transformante. Tienes un corazon fuerte, valiente y aventurero. Esta viviendo una vida bella. Buena suerte amiga

    ReplyDelete